Yin Yoga & Guided Meditation
Member type: Adult
Instructor: Katie Fobbester
Location: Studio 2
*Commences from Sunday 4 November
Yin is a quiet, grounded practice where you hold the poses for long periods of time (typically 2-6 minutes). The idea is to stress the deeper, denser connective tissues and fascia, tendons, ligaments and joint capsules. These more rigid tissues need continuous pressure to slowly lengthen and open. Yin yoga is both profoundly relaxing and re-energising. It stimulates vital energy to flow through the meridians which are located within the fascial tissue.
Key benefits of Yin yoga
- Increase the body's flexibility and range of motion
- Deeply relaxing and nurturing bringing a profound sense of wellbeing
- Both prepares and conduces you to meditate
- Recovers the natural curvature of the spine and extends the spine's flexibility
- Brings awareness to both your physical and energetic body
"You can't stop the waves but you can learn to surf" Jon Kabat-Zinn
Meditation is a core practice of yoga. The yoga asana was only developed as a way to wear out the body in preparation for sitting for long periods of time to meditate. A calm mind does not react to circumstances or sensations around it but responds with compassion and non judgement. Meditation helps us to meet life experiences head on and calmly ride the waves.